From Gineipaedia, the Legend of Galactic Heroes wiki
Haven't yet been able to determine exactly where Dusty is promoted from rear admiral to vice admiral. He is definitely a rear admiral in 'Admiral Yang's Ark Fleet', and definitely a vice admiral in 'Sudden Change', which implies he was promoted before the Battle of Vermilion (not likely that they would've promoted him during it), but i can't tell. ♥ kine
- He was promoted to Vice Admiral in mid February 799 UC (1 NIC / 490 IC / 3599 CE)/490 IC (1 NIC / 799 UC / 3599 CE). Almael 20:34, 8 September 2011 (UTC)
Spelling of name
There is an internal discrepancy beyween the newest English subtitles using "Attemborough" and the Japanese katakana. The Japanese uses the specific one for "n" as in "Attenborough" as per the katakana chart at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Table_katakana.svg Iracundus 13:30, 28 August 2011 (UTC)
- This is not he only case where a change between 'm' and 'n' occured, i.e. Palmelend, Shampool. I guess this is a typo by a certain someone who consistently mistakes both letters. Just ignore it but keep it in mind. lol Almael 14:10, 28 August 2011 (UTC)
- The reason I am raising this is to question what the proper English subtitle should be when it comes to such discrepancies. In this case for example, it is pretty obvious what the "correct" one should be: "Attenborough" as originally given in both English and the katakana. Iracundus
- IIRC, we had something in the policy section that 'Attenborough' was an exception to general policy, and clearly the obviously correct spelling should be used. At some point someone changed it, its probably in the history. Maybe kine knows something - wish I knew where he was, need him for some stuff. Vympel 13:14, 30 August 2011 (UTC)
- Sorry, i've been neglectful. :/
- Our policy is to always use the Roman/English versions of the names that are used in the most up-to-date official subtitles (the ones that come on the actual DVDs/BDs, not the fan subs). I had initially argued for a 'Dusty Clause' to allow us to choose the LD versions of the names when apropriate because i felt that, although the newer name spellings are more accurate on the whole, some of them — like Dusty's, obviously — have been mangled.
- We never explicitly decided for or against such a clause on our policy discussion. However, Canary later created several articles for Dusty's family that use the Attemborough spelling, so i took that to mean that we were going to go with a strict interpretation of the subtitles, and i renamed this page accordingly.
- I agree that the name is clearly intended to be Attenborough by the author — the subtitle people almost certainly used an M because, in spoken Japanese, an N sound before certain consonants becomes an M sound — but we do of course need to draw a line somewhere. The always-go-with-the-newest-subtitles policy is definitely the easiest and most consistent.
- I should add (since someone will probably point it out anyway) that currently the newest subtitles we have access to are the ones from the original (non-remastered) DVDs. (Heibi2 from Central Anime has confirmed that the remaster DVDs at least appear to use the same subtitles, but i don't think it was an exhaustive survey.) If we could get our hands on a Blu-ray rip that retains the original subtitles, we'd be able to confirm whether this error was corrected in the BD release; however, i haven't been able to find such a rip online. Until then, Attemborough it is...
- ps i'm not a him :( ♥ kine @ 21:17, 31 August 2011 (UTC)
- Oh, apologies, I shouldn't assume. Are you sure the QTS rip is non-remastered? Comparing it with the CA DVD rip, the digital animation insert-and-replace in various scenes (most prevalent in Season 1 and 2) are present in both - or was this done in the original DVDs and they were remastered *after* this? Vympel 02:30, 1 September 2011 (UTC)
- Those updated scenes are in all of the post-LD releases, yeah. What they did was release one set of DVDs (the ones the QTS rips are based on), and then a little while later they released a second set with improved colour, contrast, &c. (the ones that the CA rips are based on). The content is the same, it just looks a lot better ♥ kine @ 02:54, 1 September 2011 (UTC)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that Crunchyroll has decided to render Dusty's surname as "Attenborough". So I was wondering if it is finally time we make an exception in our naming policy for him and just change his name to "Dusty Attenborough". Thoughts? Glacierfairy 11:18, 27 June 2018 (UTC)