Talk:Free Planets Star Fleet
From Gineipaedia, the Legend of Galactic Heroes wiki
Worthwhile images to include would be the shoulder fleet patches for the individual numbered fleets, and also the overall Free Planets Star Fleet patch to start the main page. The sketches on the DVD unfortunately are in black and white and sometimes of dubious legibility. http://gineipaedia.com/wiki/File:Free_Planets_Alliance_Flagships.jpg might work though technically it is a fan created image. Iracundus 05:38, 9 February 2012 (UTC)
- Alba Create sells pins of all the patches (including the ONW versions of the 4th and 6th fleets) but they're exorbitantly expensive. There's an image of the ones they sell in a complete set on their website, but they're not terribly legible unfortuantely. Problem with that fan created image is that it uses the obsolete OVA 4th and 6th fleet patches :( Vympel 05:58, 9 February 2012 (UTC)
- http://www.alba-creates.com/gineiden.s.f.d.s.1.html Looks like a digital FFC with rotatable models? Ok, so I'm late and the thing was late 2010, but I haven't checked the Alba site in ages.
- I check the Alba Create site several times a week myself, desperate to see news of what the new FFC will have. I'm very annoyed there's been no news since July last year (i.e. the GX-01 file). But yeah, they've bee selling finished models - that page has updated a few times. They were selling the Alliance carrier, a battleship/cruiser set and one other thing I can't recall a few weeks ago. The digital file ... I wish I could get that. Vympel 10:56, 9 February 2012 (UTC)
- I wish I could get the finished models as there is so little time to actually build and paint any of their normal ones, but then they probably don't ship outside of Japan (the contact I had that allowed me to get the original DVDs is no longer available), and it appears to be a very limited first come first serve deal. Finally, those antenna masts would easily snap off in shipping. Iracundus 11:01, 9 February 2012 (UTC)
Anybody has an idea of when the Star Fleet was founded? So far the best we can tell is that it was founded 'shortly' after the Alliance came into being as the Alliance Backbone Fleet (For some reason, that name makes me chuckle). I guess it might be logical to say that the Star Fleet would have been around in some form for a good century by The Battle of Dagon? Spaceship construction was likely kind of natural to people who had lived in spacecrafts and maintained them for over 50 years. FPA Forever
No specific date is given. From the Databook, it only had 8 battleships in the very early years, which was already likely a heavy commitment for a society just getting off the ground, likely motivated by the fear of Imperial pursuit just behind them. As time went on and the Empire was still absent, I would imagine the sense of immediate urgency would have receded allowing for more economic activities to come first. Iracundus 08:13, 6 January 2012 (UTC)
Isn't that the official name of the Imperial Fleet? FPA Forever
- Close, in the first episode (of the original DVDs, not the CA version) its "Die Reichsflotte", so just "The Imperial Fleet" really. Vympel 08:14, 6 January 2012 (UTC)
Strategic Upper Hand?
Not so sure about that statement of the Alliance having the upper hand. I always saw the the situation as stalemated with slide over to the Empire by the construction of Iserlohn Fortress. The Alliance was stuck on the defensive in a war of attrition that ultimately they could afford less than the Empire. Furthermore, it was a war which the Goldenbaum dynasty would never end as ideologically the Galactic Empire laid claim to being the sole government over all humanity and thus by definition the conflict was merely a rebellion and not a war with an external power, with whom there could be any treaties.
Also if one looks up the Battle of Schann-tau, which is referenced in the Gaiden, it suggests the frontline has flowed in the direction of the Alliance and/or the Empire has expanded as by the main series, Schann-tau is within the Empire and is a battle site in the Imperial Civil War.
Iracundus 04:35, 15 December 2011 (UTC)
- True, but since the overall point of the Empire was to 'return' the Rebels to the Empire, and the Alliance's was to keep its sovereignty, the Alliance did have the strategic upper hand in the sense that it did keep the Empire pretty much out for many decades. FPA Forever
- Where can I get a translated version of the Encyclopedia?! It seems so utterly filled with interesting, in-universe goodies. FPA Forever O_o
- Unfortunately there is no translated version. You need to able to read Japanese or have a good command of Chinese characters/Japanese kanji + good deductive reasoning to piece together the pieces from context. There is more general technology stuff in there that I am slowly plugging away at, but even those can sometimes be lacking in detail (explained away by it being an in-universe civilian publication).
- As for the original topic of strategic upper hand, true the Alliance did defeat each previous major Imperial invasion, but that was the pattern the war was effectively stuck at. The Alliance appeared never to have sufficient resources to take the fight to the enemy in the past, and each Imperial defeat never hurt the Empire sufficiently to threaten the actual existence of the Empire. Bruce Ashbey's decision to devote more resources to the Star Fleet instead of an Alliance fortress in hindsight was a mistake given how the Alliance needed a breather from the recurrent invasions to recover its strength, not a further ongoing burden on its increasingly strained economy and human resources. An Alliance fortress might have bought enough time for the Alliance to do so and then build up its Star Fleet. For its part, the Galactic Empire appeared plagued with the opposite problem, of building fortress bases all over its territory. Iracundus 05:46, 15 December 2011 (UTC)
- I'll stay out of the strategy discussion, but fyi there are scans of the Encyclopaedia online, and there are also copies on eBay (they go for about 40$). All Japanese, of course, but if you know how to use online tools you might get some use out of it. That's what i've been doing whenever i've needed to look up stuff in it (i can read kana, but not kanji — aside from some of the really basic and/or common ones).
- All of the data as far as i can tell is pulled from canon somehow (mostly taken from the anime, with gaps filled in from novel/manga information), so it's not really anything 'new'. But it's definitely a lot easier to find information about a character or whatever by looking it up in there than trying to read through the novel. ♥ kine @ 10:54, 15 December 2011 (UTC)
- Where can I find these online Encyclopaedia scans? FPA Forever
- Should be a link on the forum somewhere (see main page) ♥ kine @ 23:53, 15 December 2011 (UTC)