Birth of the 13th Fleet (episode)
From Gineipaedia, the Legend of Galactic Heroes wiki
|'Birth of the 13th Fleet'|
|LOGH: series 1, episode 3|
|796 UC (487 IC / 3596 CE)|
|←||3rd of 110 released in LOGH||→|
|←||4th of 189 released in all||→|
Birth of the 13th Fleet (Japanese: 第十三艦隊誕生) is the 3rd episode of the Legend of Galactic Heroes OVA.
Yang Wen-li returns to the Free Planets Alliance capital on the planet Heinessen. Secretary of Defence Job Trunicht holds a memorial for the soldiers who fell at the Battle of Astarte; during his speech, Jessica Edwards confronts Trunicht, criticising the government for praising the war dead while refusing to fight themselves. She is forcibly removed from the auditorium, and is pursued by the Patriotic Knights Corps, who intends to kill her. She is however rescued by Yang Wen-li and Dusty Attemborough. Yang then succeeds in protecting Jessica long enough to convince Trunicht to call off the PKC.
The following day, Yang Wen-li is promoted to the rank of Rear Admiral and given command of the newly-formed 13th Fleet, and is ordered to capture the Empire's Iserlohn Fortress, which had thus far managed to completely repel every Alliance attempt to capture it.
"Secretary of Defence! Where were you?! Where were you, you who glorify the war dead? Where was your family? I offered my fiancé as a sacrifice. So where was your family, you who preach the necessity of citizens' sacrifice? Are you practising what you preach?!"
- – Jessica Edwards, against Job Trunicht during the memorial service for the casualties of the Battle of Astarte
"The freedom to not get involved is perhaps the most valued freedom we have in this country."
- – Yang Wen-li, on his neighbours' reluctance to report the Patriotic Knights Corps
- Free Planets Alliance national anthem (00:01:31)
- Gustav Mahler – Symphony No. 6 in A minor: I. Allegro energico, ma non troppo. Heftig, aber markig (00:12:19)
- Gustav Mahler – Symphony No. 6 in A minor: II. Scherzo: Wuchtig (00:16:00)
- Johann Sebastian Bach – Orchestral Suite No. 2 in B minor (BWV 1067): V. Polonaise - Double (00:17:20)
- Gustav Mahler – Symphony No. 5: IV. Adagietto. Sehr langsam (00:20:28)
- Gustav Mahler – Symphony No. 2, 'Resurrection': V. Im Tempo des Scherzos (00:21:52)
- Tomiyama Kei as Yang Wen-li
- Sasaki Nozomu as Julian Mintz
- Koyama Mami as Jessica Edwards
- Keaton Yamada as Alex Cazerne
- Inoue Kazuhiko as Dusty Attemborough
- Utsumi Kenji as Sidney Sithole
- Masamune Issei as Dwight Greenhill
- Ishizuka Unshō as Job Trunicht
- Akimoto Yōsuke, Shioya Kōzō, Hirano Masato, Suzuki Reiko
- Yara Yūsaku as Narrator
- Screenplay: Shudō Takeshi
- Storyboard: Yamada Hiroshi
- Episode director: Yamada Hiroshi
- Animation director: Kise Kazuchika
- In the original novels (Volume 1, Chapter 4), Yang did not absent himself from the memorial service and the provocative statements he made became the cause of the Patriotic Knights Corps' attack on his residence, instead of Jessica's outburst (she was already escorted out of Heinessenpolis by Yang before the attack) as shown in this episode.
'The Battle of Astarte'
|Legend of Galactic Heroes (OVA)