Category talk:Creative staff
From Gineipaedia, the Legend of Galactic Heroes wiki
Production staff hierarchy
This thread has been moved from 'Production staff' for preservation purposes.
I am not happy with how we have this set up now. Here are my concerns:
1. We need a category that can also contain people who aren't related to the animated media. For example, we need articles for the people (person?) who illustrate the manga, and for the people who star in the stage production, and probably — eventually — the people who did the video games. Does the term 'production staff' encompass all of those? It sort of does, but it also sort of seems like it doesn't (especially for the manga and novels, 'production' isn't a term i normally associate with those media). If it's not, what would be a more general term we could use?
2. However we decide on the above, we then need to sub-divide this category along the following lines:
- Voice cast
- Crew (animation/stage)
- Illustrators (manga/novels)
- Whatever you call video-game staff
One reason i haven't already done this is that i dislike the term 'crew' in particular. It is not general enough — for example the director and producer are usually not considered 'crew'. What else might we call them that doesn't overlap with 'cast'? Does 'staff' work for that? Probably not since we've got cast included in our 'staff' category right now.
Perhaps something along these lines would work?
Creative/production personnel* | |-- Animation personnel | | | |-- Animation musicians | | | |-- Animation staff/crew/whatev* | | | |-- Animation voice cast | |-- Manga personnel | | | |-- Manga artists | | | |-- Manga staff/crew/whatev* | | | |-- Manga writers** | |-- Novel personnel | | | |-- Novel artists | | | |-- Novel staff/crew/whatev* | | | |-- Novel writers | |-- Stage personnel | | | |-- Stage actors | | | |-- Novel staff/crew/whatev*** | |-- Video-game personnel | |-- Video-game staff/crew/whatev*** | |-- Video-game voice cast
* The exact terms need to be decided on for these.
** I am not sure if the manga has people it considers 'writers' or not. Obviously the story is based on the novels, but they have changed several things — Rubinsky is a woman, for example....
*** These might need to be sub-divided, we should look at MA and WP to compare.
What do you think? ♥ kine @ 14:14, 15 May 2011 (UTC)
- I'm with you 100% on subcategories. I don't, however, think "personnel" is a good word. Seems to... martial to me. Regarding the overall term "Production Staff..." well, as is the case with several similar naming issues we've had, I'm open to channging... provided someone can think of a better term. Until then.... Canary 14:31, 15 May 2011 (UTC)
- Hmm. Another option might be something like this (abbreviated, i won't re-do the entire thing) then?
Creative staff | |-- Animation staff | | | |-- Animation musicians | | | |-- Animation voice cast | ...
- Then, rather than place the crew/directors/whatev under their own sub-category, we could (for now anyway) just place them in the general 'Animation staff' category, and reserve the subs for the voice cast and so on? ♥ kine @ 15:37, 15 May 2011 (UTC)
- That would work, too. One thing we would have to research would be the musicians. We can't really use "Animation musicians" unless the musicians were specifically hired by the OVA production team for the OVA soundtrrack. I think it's more likely they just purchased the rights to use the music (which are pretty cheap for classical stuff). To get around that, I think the broader term "musicians" might be more appropriate, and can be combined with the Stage production musicians.
- Might we want pages/articles (or a single page) to go over the various composers? I might like to see a single page where all of the classical music pieces and composers are listed out. Canary 15:44, 15 May 2011 (UTC)
- Well, when i imagined a musicians category, i was actually thinking of the people who did the opening and ending themes (and the person who made the FPA/Imperial anthems) — those definitely were hired for the OVA sound track.
- As far as the classical music, i guess i'm not sure about this. One of the reasons i like the music in LOGH is that the dynamic range is relatively limited — in normal classical recordings the range is very wide (which classical fans usually like, but i can't stand it). That made me think that possibly it was composed by request. But, now that you mention it, i actually have no idea. We will have to look into it, as you mentioned