Feature talk:Extra-terrestrial life
From Gineipaedia, the Legend of Galactic Heroes wiki
I'm killing myself for this, but I could have sworn I saw something about ET life in one of the OVAs a while back, I just can't remember what it was! Sound familiar to anyone? It was some kind of plant, IIRC.Canary 21:07, 18 June 2011 (UTC)
- Hm. The only thing i can think of off-hand that might qualify is that drug thing from the first Gaiden series? But i can't remember if it ever stated that that was extra-terrestrial or what ♥ kine @ 21:57, 18 June 2011 (UTC)
Bad perspective, &c.
(1) This article does not have the correct perspective (it references the series). We should not have articles that are nothing but giant background notes — these belong on the page they reference (in this case, maybe LOGH or LOGH (OVA))
(2) More importantly, alien life is never discussed in LOGH; i don't think that it is appropriate to add articles for things that are not seen or mentioned in the series. If we are going to do that we might as well start creating articles discussing the non-existence of Wookiees and Borg. ♥ kine @ 17:44, 30 April 2011 (UTC)
- I thought it was a bit lengthy for a background note, particularly because it was a background note that would apply to EVERY logh media article (the novels, each OVA, even Tanaka's page).
- Regarding the lack of discsussion of alien life in logh proper, that lack, by itself, is a thing that warrants our notice. LoGH is a science-fiction series with a unique setting. Most people, when first learning of logh, will have certain questions. Things like "What's it about?" This is an obvious question that our wiki answers. Another obvious question: "Are there aliens?" We should be able to address that, too.
- Given your... hard-line mentality regarding canonicity, I would suggest perhaps creating a special category for threads of this nature, and accompany each article with a "This article contains information of a speculative nature" warning at the top. And we can plaster that over not just Goldilocks zones and ET threads, but over any article that analyzes events or extrapolates information. Canary
- I was thinking about this, and a thought occurred to me that might be a good compromise. You mentioned a 'special category' and the fact that you feel the background information is important — suppose we made 'aliens', 'extra-terrestrials', 'extra-terrestrial life', &c., redirect to a project page (like Gineipaedia:Extra-terrestrial life)? That way, the information would still be available to people, but it would be outside of the main content name space, which would satisfy my dual concerns with (1) adding non-canon/non-mentioned content to the site and (2) writing from an out-of-universe perspective.
- What do you reckon? ♥ kine @ 06:26, 13 May 2011 (UTC)