From Gineipaedia, the Legend of Galactic Heroes wiki
Blu-ray versus CA DVD
Our lull will probably continue for a little while, but i had some time to rip the Blu-ray version of the Amritsar episode, which is something i was very excited for due to the large number of vessels and things that appear. And i'm comparing the resulting images, and i can't decide if it's worth the effort or not.
Since the first one i tested is the Palamedes, let's use this as a temporary discussion place i guess.
To the right you'll find two images of the same shot — one from the Blu-ray and one from the CA DVD rip. (I re-uploaded the DVD one instead of using Vympel's original one just to make sure that the framing and colour profiles were the same.)
Since this is an early episode the quality is going to be sort of bad no matter what, but what do you guys reckon?
Off the top of my head i have to say that the DVD colours/contrast seem a little nicer, and there are parts where the up-scaling did not do justice to the quality of the picture (like the vent thingies on the side). On the other hand there are some parts that look better in the BD, like the dots just above the forward heat sink.
For more evidence, try the Images from episode 060 category, which contains a number of side-by-side comparison shots of vessels, buildings, and people. Some of these look better to me, some don't.
There are a few though that i think anyone must agree are unquestionably better in the Blu-rays, like the Perceval and especially the Patoroklos (see below):
Perceval (CA DVD)
What do you think in general? ♥ kine @ 22:44, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
- Yeah I've been totally engrossed in Skyrim since it came out! :) As to the issue - I can't really see much of a difference in the Palamedes shots at all. Definitely can for the others though. I think that if anyone wants to replace the DVD screencaps with blu-ray shots, or use blu-ray shots as the default, they should. Personally, the blu-ray rip of the entire main series with CA subs that was recently made available is a massive download, and I'm not convinced its worth the trouble for me to get, so I probably will keep uploading DVD shots when I get back to the groove. Vympel 23:21, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
- Oh, what, shit. I didn't know someone did the whole series, why am i wasting time trying to do it myself :(
- I will def get them, and i suppose if we want to be consistent we should say that BD screenshots always trump lesser versions. I guess i just wanted to make sure there wasn't anyone who felt that the BD screenshots were actively worse ♥ kine @ 08:36, 1 December 2011 (UTC)
- Well definitely focus on the Gaiden, we really need good screencaps of that (particularly season 1, lots of good tech stuff there), no one has done it yet, AFAIK. Here's the link:-
- Damn, I just realised its 720p. So there's that issue. Vympel 11:42, 1 December 2011 (UTC)
- Hm, yeah, guess it could be better resolution-wise. On the other hand if all other things are equal maybe it'd be best to standardise on it for consistency's sake. I'll have to look at them and see i guess. Maybe we need to start putting images into categories based on source to manage junk like that. I dunno
- As far as Gaiden, whenever i get more time to deal with that sort of stuff again i will definitely focus on it ♥ kine @ 23:48, 1 December 2011 (UTC)