From Gineipaedia, the Legend of Galactic Heroes wiki
Just throwing this out there- should we perhaps link all these one-off Spartanians onto one page? Vympel 00:04, 16 December 2011 (UTC)
- I assume you mean doing that instead of independent articles, rather than in addition to? If so, i kind of raised a related point on Policy talk today. Personally i'm very strongly leaning towards the 'rule' i posted there (that things with 'unique designations', or whatever you want to call it, should get their own articles), which is also in accordance with how other wikis do it.
- Since these all have their own unique serial numbers, giving them names that are no more or less distinguishable than Konev's and Poplin's (which appear many times and are also mentioned in licensed and fan materials) i think they qualify. For Spartanians that have indistinguishable numbers, those would definitely be more of a list-page sort of thing
- I'd like to ultimately catalogue every single vessel and character in the series. For Imperial ships that will be hard (for destroyers and Valkyries, slightly less so, but their numbers are still invisible most of the time), but we're fortunate when it comes to Alliance ones. For unnamed characters i think it will probably end up being list pages almost all the way, because it's pretty hard to come up with distinct names for them ♥ kine @ 00:46, 16 December 2011 (UTC)
- Fair enough. Btw whilst you're uploading screencaps take a look at Episode 102 - its the one instance in the series where a Spartanian uses its foward guns as opposed to its dorsal mounted lasers. They're probably the flechette guns referred to in the licensed material - sort of purple glowing bolts. Cool looking. Vympel 01:49, 16 December 2011 (UTC)
- That is interesting, i didn't notice that before ♥ kine @ 04:24, 16 December 2011 (UTC)
- Ah yes that appearance. I had meant to mention that earlier when I did the Spartanian article but forgot. It is the only time we see the Spartanian fire a non-beam weapon in the series. They look like reddish bolts to me, and I've handwaved the appearance as some tracer rounds for the benefit of the pilot. I am not sure whether they are the fletchette guns or whether they are the gatling guns, that are also mentioned as an alternative weapon loadout. Those fire projectile rounds that have uranium in them. However Konev's Spartanian in HBSHBL: 'A Hundred Billion Stars, One Ambition' fires retro-thrusters out of those same 4 openings, so it appears what goes into that space can be highly customized to the preferences of the pilot. Iracundus 07:00, 16 December 2011 (UTC)
We have positive identifaction from HBSHBL: 'A Hundred Billion Stars, One Ambition' that it is Warren Hughes that pilots this fighter. However in HBSHBL: 'A Hundred Billion Stars, One Ambition' the nose livery is more of a cyan or teal, whereas its tail is not seen. However at least in Episode 15, the tail is greenish. Either there was a change or it has always had mismatched nose and tail livery. Iracundus 07:33, 16 December 2011 (UTC)
- That is cool, thanks for those.
- Re the colours, i noticed a great deal of colour problems when i was trying to find the screenshots. For example, when we first see Spartanian 160 it is faded magenta (like in the screenshot) — but within a few frames suddenly it turns a very bold red. That's why i put 'red or magenta' for that one. It seems like that faded magenta is kind of the 'default' colour for Spartanians in the series, because i think i noticed that on more than one occasion.
- Since i'm on the subject, i also noticed another interesting error. In the scene in MCISS (and later 015 i think, since it was re-used) where they are launching Poplin's fighter (see Spartanian 171), you can see very clearly in the first few frames that the fighters are 173, 172, 171, and 170. However, two or three frames later, the number on 171 suddenly changes to 170. I think 172 might change to like 174 or something too, i can't remember. It was a very brief scene, but looking at it in slow motion it was strikingly obvious. I took comparison shots, i'll upload when i can ♥ kine @ 07:49, 16 December 2011 (UTC)
- I just checked Episode 15. Looks like there was a change to green livery. Also in HBSHBL: 'A Hundred Billion Stars, One Ambition', the pilots have 88 on their left upper arm, whereas in Episode 15 they have 57. However in HBSHBL: 'A Hundred Billion Stars, One Ambition', if one looks closely at the space just under the dorsal guns, they have "57th", just as they do in Episode 15. Now the problem is further compounded by the fact the DVD encyclopedia lists them as being part of the 88th independent fighter squadron. It is unclear what "independent" means in this context. Iracundus 08:18, 16 December 2011 (UTC)
- Poplin's on a few occasions changes to '52th' as well ♥ kine @ 10:30, 16 December 2011 (UTC)
- One thing to think about is if Olivier is Spartanian 170 of either the 57th or the 88th squadron, and Episode 102 says he was leading 240 Spartanians, then that means likely somewhere there are also Spartanian 170's of other squadrons given that Alliance carriers hold 100 fighters, and cruisers hold 3, etc... I suppose technically Olivier's is only Spartanian 170 of one specific squadron. Iracundus 11:34, 16 December 2011 (UTC)
- Yeah i thought of that. However, i've yet to see a number re-used, so i guess until i find one i'll pretend they're distinct :) ♥ kine @ 11:55, 16 December 2011 (UTC)