From Gineipaedia, the Legend of Galactic Heroes wiki
Enrique Oliveira (798 UC (489 IC / 3598 CE))
|Affiliation:||Free Planets Alliance|
|Died:||801 UC (3 NIC / 492 IC / 3601 CE)|
|Played by:||Yamanouchi Masato (deceased)|
Enrique Martino Borges de Arantes e Oliveira (Japanese: エンリケ・マルチノ・ボルジェス・デ・アランテス・エ・オリベイラ) was an Alliance university president and political advisor who participated in the inquiry against Yang Wen-li in 798 UC (489 IC / 3598 CE). He later served as a consultant for Supreme Council Chairman João Rebelo and was taken into custody with other government officials in 801 UC (3 NIC / 492 IC / 3601 CE) on order of Paul von Oberstein, ending up killed during the riot at Rugpool Prison.
Some time after the Alliance Civil War, Oliveira, under the capacity as political advisor for the Alliance government, participated in the secret (and illegal) hearings against the war-time actions of Admiral Yang Wen-li when he liberated Heinessen from the putschist military units that had seized control of the planet. Ostensibly, the hearings were to determine whether or not Yang had harboured any personal ambitions to seize power for himself when he attacked Heinessen, and whether or not his destruction of capital's orbital defence satellites (the Artemis Necklace) was justified. In truth, these hearings were designed to threaten Yang and cow him into submission: the government feared that, with his abilities, reputation and popularity, Yang would pose a threat to their continued power. (LOGH: 'The Inquiry Committee', 'War Without Weapons')
Oliveira, along with defence secretary Negroponte, was one of Admiral Yang's main and most antagonistic interrogators during that entire process. The hearings were called off when the Galactic Empire launched a surprise attack on Iserlohn Fortress. Negroponte had to resign but Oliveira's fate after the inquiry is unknown, though the professor quite likely had been untainted by it as he later continued to work with the Alliance government. (LOGH: 'The Inquiry Committee', 'War Without Weapons', 'Invitation to an Opera')
Following the capitulation of the Free Planets Alliance during Operation Ragnarök and the resignation of Supreme Council Chairman Job Trunicht, the university professor consulted Trunicht's successor João Rebelo as a political advisor. It was Oliviera who advised him to arrest the retired Admiral Yang during the Lennenkampf affair, which ultimately resulted in Yang rebelling against the Alliance government and Kaiser Reinhard's New Galactic Empire. Two years later, after the Alliance had been fully annexed by the Empire, Oliveira himself was among the group of former Alliance officials that had been rounded up and arrested by Paul von Oberstein as part of a plan to force the republican remnants at Iserlohn Fortress to surrender. However the professor himself ended up being killed during a riot at Rugpool Prison in 801 UC (3 NIC / 492 IC / 3601 CE). (LOGH: 'The Magician Is Captured', 'Invitation to an Opera', 'Cosmic Mosaic', 'Planet of Confusion')
- Enrique Martino Borges de Arantes e Oliveira (DVD subtitles)
- Henrique Martino Borges De Arantes E Olibeira (LD subtitles)
- ジョアン・レベロ (LD/DVD subtitles — Japanese)
- "Admiral, you're an excellent man, but you're still young. It seems you don't really understand the true nature of war... Peace and freedom, lacking a sense of tension, cause people to degenerate. It's a war that gives people a sense of vitality. War is what makes civilizations advance, and psychologically elevates people! Prolonged periods of peace and freedom will only decrease the vitality in an already decadent age. Doesn't your precious history prove that?"
- "A...are you implying that our patriotism is false?!"
- "And we're the parasites!?" (Yang Wen-li: "Can you have heard it any other way?")
- "This unjustifiable contempt and rudeness exceeds the bounds of imagination!"
- "...We can't decide this on our own. We have to wait for Chairman Trunicht's decision...."