In the Eternal Night (episode)
From Gineipaedia, the Legend of Galactic Heroes wiki
|'In the Eternal Night'|
|LOGH: series 1, episode 1|
|January 796 UC (487 IC / 3596 CE)|
|1st of 110 released in LOGH||→|
|←||2nd of 213 released in all||→|
In the Eternal Night (Japanese: 永遠の夜の中で, Eien no yoru no naka de) is the 1st episode of the Legend of Galactic Heroes OVA.
Admiral Reinhard von Lohengramm of the Imperial fleet prepares his forces for a confrontation against the numerically superior Free Planets Alliance in the Battle of Astarte.
1 January 796 UC (487 IC / 3596 CE): An Imperial Fleet consisting of more than 20,000 warships under the command of Reinhard von Lohengramm engages the combined Free Planets Alliance 2nd, 4th and 6th Fleets in the Astarte Starzone. Against the advice of his subordinate officers, Reinhard decides on a blitzkrieg strategy, moving to quickly assault the Alliance fleets individually, before they have time to complete their encirclement manoeuvres. Confident in their 2:1 numerical advantage, the Alliance commanders fail to consider Reinhard's move, despite being warned about its possibility in advance by Yang Wen-li. As a result, the 4th Fleet and the 6th Fleet were routed in quick succession, leaving only the now numerically disadvantaged 2nd Fleet to battle the Imperial fleet.
- Gustav Mahler – Symphony No. 3: I. Kraftig. Entschieden (00:01:30)
- Gustav Mahler – Symphony No. 3: III. Comodo. Scherzando (00:04:58)
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Bassoon Concerto in B flat major (K. 191/186e): II. Andante ma adagio (00:06:46)
- Free Planets Alliance national anthem (00:08:06)
- Ludwig van Beethoven – Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor, 'Sonata Pathétique' (Op. 13): II. Adagio cantabile (00:10:42)
- Carl Nielsen – Symphony No. 4, 'The Inextinguishable' (Op. 29/FS 76): IV. Allegro (00:11:30)
- Gustav Mahler – Symphony No. 2, 'Resurrection': V. Im Tempo des Scherzos (00:12:24)
- Gustav Mahler – Symphony No. 2, 'Resurrection': I. Allegro maestoso. Mit durchaus ernstem und feierlichem Ausdruck (00:19:52)
- Imperial military anthem (00:21:34)
- Horikawa Ryō as Reinhard von Lohengramm
- Hironaka Masashi as Siegfried Kircheis
- Han Keiko as Annerose von Grünewald
- Tomiyama Kei as Yang Wen-li
- Wakamoto Norio as Oskar von Reuenthal
- Mori Katsuji as Wolfgang Mittermeyer
- Naya Gorō as Willibald Joachim von Merkatz
- Inoue Kazuhiko as Dusty Attemborough
- Furukawa Toshio as Olivier Poplin
- Suzuoki Hirotaka as Ivan Konev
- Murakoshi Ichirō as Staden
- Satō Masaharu as Erlache
- Kobayashi Michitaka as Tonio
- Tokumaru Kan as Paetta
- Tanaka Hideyuki as Jean Robert Lapp
- Hirano Masato as Moore
- Nagai Ichirō as Thoma von Stockhausen
- Iizuka Shōzō as Hans Dietrich von Seeckt
- Saka Osamu as Friedrich IV
- Miyauchi Kōhei as Klaus von Lichtenlade
- Kobayashi Kiyoshi as Adrian Rubinsky
- Yara Yūsaku as Kurt (uncredited) and Narrator
- Screenplay: Shudō Takeshi
- Storyboard: Ishiguro Noboru
- Episode director: Ishiguro Noboru
- Animation director: Arai Yutaka
- This episode omits the backstories of Reinhard and Yang as presented in the original novels (Volume 1, Chapter 1); they are only depicted later in LOGH: 'Empire's Afterglow' (for Reinhard) and SL: 'The Hero of El Facil' (for Yang).
- The scenes on Fezzan, Odin and Iserlohn Fortress are anime-original and are probably intended to showcase major characters of the series before their actual appearances.
|Legend of Galactic Heroes (OVA)
'The Battle of Astarte'