Talk:Central Public Prosecutor's Office
From Gineipaedia, the Legend of Galactic Heroes wiki
The DVD calls this the Central Public Prosecutors Office (plural, not possessive). Should we rename the article accordingly?
If not, we will probably need to have a policy adjustment to justify it. One policy change i could foresee is allowing us to create our own translations for anything that is made up of 'regular' words — i.e., we have to leave the names of people and 'proper' places alone, but names of buildings and things that are just non-proper nouns strung together are OK to translate from the Japanese instead of using the English subs.
However, that could be a slippery slope too. I haven't thought of the implications.
The easiest and most consistent option clearly is to just change it to plural and leave it alone. ♥ kine @ 03:19, 8 July 2011 (UTC)
- Oh, man. I just realised something else that's related to this. As i said on Talk:Hotel Shangri-la (Fezzan), i think that all of those hotels are actually supposed to have Hotel in their proper names — e.g., Hotel Shangri-la, Hotel Berncastel, Hotel Arkadia, and so on. This is what the dialogue and Japanese subtitles suggest.
- And that's fine, that 'format' is something that's used in the real world, and we can just change them. The problem is that the English subtitles actually put quotes around it, like Hotel "Berncastel". This is not how hotels are named in the real world, and i think constantly referring to buildings like The Hotel "Euphonia" was..., Reinhard stayed in the Hotel "Arkadia"'..., and so on is somewhat awkward. It also introduces problems elsewhere, like if we do that should we assume that the Dracul's name is actually Bar "Dracul"? I don't think so, but how do i justify that decision logically :/
- So now i'm utterly confused about the whole thing. :( Should we be allowed to change punctuation in this article and the hotel ones? Or should we suck it up and just use the subtitles verbatim? What about Bar "Dracul" and Restaurant "March Rabbit" and so on? Sigh ♥ kine @ 03:29, 8 July 2011 (UTC)
- I'm trying to think back to when I set up the page... IIRC, I was going by the dialog, not fansubs/tiles. Basically, I did the singular possessive because (at the time) I didn't see anything to indicate a plural. If there is, it needs to be changed.
- Regarding hotels and restaurants... I think we should avoid looking to the fansubs for guidance. At least right off the bat. In many cases we see restaurant (and possibly hotel) signs animated: we should go with what that says. In the case of tiles for each building saying restaurant or hotel... well, I'd have to look at one (and my logh hd is MIA at the moment), but I think we can write off some of that as cosmetic. I dunno.
- One thing we may want to consider is, for every building, including its type in parenthesis. For example, Eupohnia (Hotel), or Central Public Prosecutors Office (Administrative). I don't know. In the long run, that may be beneficial to keeping the Buildings category organized, but I don't see there ever being enough articles in said category to warrant the excessive wordage. Canary 06:08, 26 July 2011 (UTC)