The Unbeatable Magician (DNT episode)
From Gineipaedia, the Legend of Galactic Heroes wiki
|'The Unbeatable Magician'|
|DNT: series 1, episode 4|
|785 UC (476 IC / 3585 CE) - 788 UC (479 IC / 3588 CE) / 794 UC (485 IC / 3594 CE)|
|←||4th of 15 released in DNT||→|
|←||169th of 180 released in all||→|
The Unbeatable Magician (Japanese: 不敗の魔術師) is the 4th episode of Legend of Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These - Encounter.
The backstory of Yang Wen-li is revealed. As a child, Yang spends most of his time aboard the interstellar trade ship of his father Yang Tai-long. However, when Yang is rendered destitute at the age of 16 after his father is killed during an onboard accident, he is forced to join the military to further his education for free.
One day while reading about history in a city library, Yang becomes acquainted with Jessica Edwards. After learning that she is a childhood friend of Jean Robert Lapp, his best friend in the Free Planets Alliance Officer Academy, they become fast friends and the trio often hang out together.
In 788 UC (479 IC / 3588 CE), one year after graduation from the Academy, Yang is assigned as a staff officer to the Alliance garrison in El Facil. Trouble breaks out when the garrison fleet loses a combat engagement against an incoming Imperial fleet and is forced to retreat to El Facil. In the ensuing chaos, the task of organising the evacuation of civilians from El Facil falls towards Yang. Ultimately, the fleet commander Rear Admiral Arthur Lynch flees the planet with other high-ranking military officers, leaving Yang with the civilians (and NCOs) to fend for themselves. Nevertheless, Yang is able to make use of his superiors' escape as a diversion against the Imperial fleet and leads the civilian ships away from El Facil in the opposite direction. His successful evacuation of the civilians earns him effectively a double promotion, from Sub-lieutenant to Lt Commander, as well as the moniker "Hero of El Facil."
Some time later, Yang moves to a residence in the high-ranking officers' residential quarter of Heinessenpolis, where he eventually meets with Julian Mintz, a war orphan introduced to him by Alex Cazerne.
"It's because the people wanted their lives to be easy."
- – Yang Tai-long, to Yang Wen-li, after the latter wondered why would anyone support Rudolf von Goldenbaum if he was as evil as commonly portrayed
"Rather than solving their problems on their own, they were waiting for some superhero or saint to show up and take it all on single-handedly. Rudolf took advantage of that. Now, remember this. It is the people who create the dictator who have the greater responsibility. Even if they don't actively support him, standing by silently makes them equally guilty."
- – Yang Wen-li, to Jessica Edwards and Jean Robert Lapp, explaining his father's opinion on how Rudolf von Goldenbaum came to power
"You're a big help. I don't like coffee though, so I wish you had brought tea."
- – Yang Wen-li, to Frederica Greenhill, after the latter saved him from choking over a sandwich by offering him a cup of coffee
- Suzumura Kenichi as Yang Wen-li
- Ono Yūki as Jean Robert Lapp
- Kinoshita Sayaka as Jessica Edwards
- Endō Aya as Frederica Greenhill
- Takahashi Kenji as Malcolm Wideborn
- Kawashima Tokuyoshi as Alex Cazerne
- Tanaka Hideyuki as Yang Tai-long
- Fujiwara Takahiro as Crew member
- Shinomiya Gō as Instructor
- Endō Saki as Female reporter
- Iwasaki Ryōta as Operator
- Shimotsuki Yukari as Operator
- Nakamura Kimihiko as Student
- Miyata Tetsurō as Student
- Yurianne Eve as Townsperson
- Shimoyama Yoshimitsu as Narrator
- Screenplay: Yoshinaga Aya
- Storyboard: Matsuzawa Kenichi
- Episode director: Matsuzawa Kenichi
- Animation director: Miyakawa Chieko and Kotani Kyōko
'An Indomitable Prodigy'
|Legend of Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These
'Birth of the 13th Fleet'