Jessica's Struggle (episode)
From Gineipaedia, the Legend of Galactic Heroes wiki
|LOGH: series 1, episode 010|
|796 UC (487 IC / 3596 CE)|
|←||10th of 110 released in LOGH||→|
|←||11th of 180 released in all||→|
Jessica's Struggle (Japanese: ジェシカの戦い) is the 10th episode of the Legend of Galactic Heroes OVA.
Yang Wen-li travels to Heinessen's second-largest city with Julian Mintz, Terneuzen, in order to attend a ceremony at his alma mater, the Free Planets Alliance Officer Academy. There, he is unwillingly wrapped up in a political campaign for the district after being forced into a public show of support for Raymond Togliatti. He later reunites with Jessica Edwards, who is aiding the campaign of James Thorndike, the candidate for the Citizens' Anti-War Union and Togliatti's rival. Both of them reminisces about their past together with the deceased Jean Robert Lapp in the Academy. After Thorndike is assassinated by the Patriotic Knights Corps via a bombing of the Citizens' Anti-War Union's campaign headquarters, Yang is interviewed by the media, and asked about his opinion about the bombing case. Yang condemns the bombing and agrees with the general opinion that Togliatti's party is responsible for that act. With the help of Yang's condemnation, Thorndike's substitute candidate — Jessica Edwards — wins the Terneuzen by-election by a wide margin.
"It is a blasphemy against democratic government. Nothing less than that."
- – Yang Wen-li, when interviewed about his opinion on the bombing of the Citizens' Anti-War Union's campaign headquarters
"I want to ask the people who are in power, where were you? While you send young soldiers out to die, where were you and what were you doing?"
- – Jessica Edwards, during her election campaign
- Gustav Mahler – Symphony No. 5: III. Scherzo. Kräftig, nicht zu schnell (00:01:31)
- Gustav Mahler – Symphony No. 5: IV. Adagietto. Sehr langsam (00:06:39)
- Frédéric Chopin – Mazurka in A minor (Op. 17, No. 4) (00:09:01)
- Free Planets Alliance national anthem (00:09:43)
- Antonín Dvořák – Symphony No. 6 in D major (Op. 60/B. 112): II. Adagio (00:13:22)
- Johannes Brahms – Six Pieces for Piano (Op. 118): V. Romance in F major (00:15:04)
- Johannes Brahms – Hungarian Dance No. 7 in F major (00:15:43)
- Antonín Dvořák – Symphony No. 6 in D major (Op. 60/B. 112): II. Adagio (00:17:26)
- Antonín Dvořák – Othello Overture (Op. 93/B. 174) (00:18:59)
- Richard Wagner – Symphony in C major (WWV 29): II. Andante ma non troppo, un poco maestoso (00:21:49)
- Tomiyama Kei as Yang Wen-li
- Sakakibara Yoshiko as Frederica Greenhill
- Sasaki Nozomu as Julian Mintz
- Koyama Mami as Jessica Edwards
- Masamune Issei as Dwight Greenhill
- Tanaka Hideyuki as Jean Robert Lapp
- Kitamura Kōichi as Raymond Togliatti
- Maruyama Eiji as James Thorndike
- Tanaka Ryōichi, Nakano Seiko, Saitō Shigeru, Maruyama Tomoko, Yamanaka Ittoku
- Yara Yūsaku as Narrator
- Screenplay: Endō Akinori
- Storyboard: Okamoto Tatsuya
- Episode director: Okamoto Tatsuya
- Animation director: Oda Fujio
- This episode greatly expanded the details over Jessica's foray into politics; in the novel (Volume 1, Chapter 6), her victory in the Terneuzen by-election was only mentioned by Dwight Greenhill as a conversation topic during a dinner with his daughter, Yang and Julian (depicted in LOGH: 'Victory for Whose Sake?' as a memory scene).
'The Klopstock Incident'
|Legend of Galactic Heroes (OVA)
'The Actress Exits'