From Gineipaedia, the Legend of Galactic Heroes wiki
Chief of Staff Yusuf Topparol (archival image)
|Affiliation:||Free Planets Alliance|
|Rank:||Vice Admiral (at time of picture) later Fleet Admiral|
|Occupation:||Military chief of staff|
Yūsuf Topparol served as Chief of Staff to Supreme Commander Lin Pao in the first battle of the Alliance–Imperial War, against the Imperial fleet led by Grand Duke Herbert. This first battle ended with the overwhelming victory of the Free Planets Star Fleet. Due to the frequent complaints he levied against his superiors, Topparole earned the nickname, "Griping Yusuf." (Legend of Galactic Heroes Volume 1: Dawn)
- "Why do you have to give me such a hard time?"
- - Yusuf Topparole, complaining about his workload.
During the Battle of Dagon, Topparol was still in his 30s, meaning that he was born in the mid-to-late 600s.
Topparol was known as a stringent man who strongly disliked working hard, and constantly griped about work. In many ways a temperamental, to-the-point man, he was also a superb mind called by some a 'walking computer'. (Legend of Galactic Heroes Volume 1: Dawn)
Also like his former commander, Topparol led a quiet life after retiring from the military. He never entered politics.
Yūsuf Topparol was known to have been an extremely insular, reserved man. Private historical documents belonging to him — letters to lovers, written from the battlefield — are astonishingly spartan:
- "Influenza is spreading. Since there have already been 1,000,000 patients, try not to be patient number 1,000,001."
- "I'm an insensitive man, so it'll inconvenience me if you expect me to be sensitive to your feelings. If you have any complaints, you must speak up."
- Yūsuf Topparol (DVD subtitles)
- Yusuf Tpalour (LD subtitles)
- ユースフ・トパロウル (LD/DVD subtitles — Japanese)
LaserDisc/DVD character-design differences
Yūsuf Topparol, along with Lin Pao, saw a dramatic change in character design with the DVD re-release. Both characters were given larger and arguably more masculine facial features.