From Gineipaedia, the Legend of Galactic Heroes wiki
The flagship Cu Chulainn (796 UC (487 IC / 3596 CE))
|Affiliation:||Free Planets Alliance|
|Flag officer:||Vice Admiral Lefebvre|
|Type:||Ajax class flagship|
|Purpose:||Flagship (3rd Fleet)|
|Armament:||30 forward neutron beam cannons|
58 port cannons
58 starboard cannons
|Status:||Destroyed in combat|
|Destroyed:||October 796 UC (487 IC / 3596 CE)|
The Cu Chulainn led the 3rd Fleet in the Alliance invasion of Imperial territory in 796 UC (487 IC / 3596 CE). With Alliance forces suffering from a supply shortage due to Imperial attacks on their supply lines, the 3rd Fleet was attacked by the Wahlen Fleet at planet Lesing. A pair of missiles struck a nearby battleship, causing it to collide with the flagship. The Cu Chulainn was in turn sent careening into a nearby planetoid, and was destroyed. (LOGH: 'The Battle of Amritsar Starzone')
- Cu Chulainn (DVD subtitles)
- Ku Horin (LD subtitles)
- ク・ホリン (LD/DVD subtitles — Japanese)
Cú Chulainn is an Irish mythological hero.
The Cu Chulainn achieved high mobility and maneuverability through being more lightly constructed and having a lower mass than other flagships. The ship's armament was reduced and simplified, with a frontal armament of 30 cannons and the side secondary weapons along the engine reduced to a single row of weapons. The shuttle hangar above the engine was also reduced in size from the normal large flagship size. This would prove an obstacle in dispatching and receiving reports.
Compared to the Patoroklos, the Cu Chulainn required 20% less time to complete a 180 degree turn.
Concern was raised that the simpler and lighter construction reduced the defensive capabilities of the ship and rendered it more vulnerable to damage. Analysis after the Battle of Amritsar would cite this as one of the primary reasons for the loss of the ship. The construction engineers' report concluded that a normally robustly constructed Ajax class flagship should have withstood the ship collision, sustaining heavy damage in the worst case scenario. The design philosophy behind the construction of the Cu Chulainn therefore was discredited in the Free Planets Alliance. (Fleet File Collection Vol.5)
Only 30 crew survived the destruction of the ship. (Data Book: Mechanic & Seiyū Encyclopaedia, p. 112)
The Cu Chulainn's service history is included in the Data Book: Mechanic & Seiyū Encyclopaedia, p. 112:
- March 782 UC (473 IC / 3582 CE) — Work completed at Heinessen Shipyard 2
- 15 March 782 UC (473 IC / 3582 CE) — Inducted as flagship of the 3rd Fleet
- January 789 UC (480 IC / 3589 CE) — First refit. Swapping of neutron beam cannons for newer models, and higher efficiency converters in the engine section
- March 795 UC (486 IC / 3595 CE) — Second refit. Increase in the number of secondary weapon side mounts around the engine section, resulting in changes to outward appearance of ship. Relocation of communication antennas around bridge.
- 12 October 796 UC (487 IC / 3596 CE) — Destroyed in orbit around the planet Lesing
- 1 November 796 UC (487 IC / 3596 CE) — Name struck from the register
A sketch of the Cu Chulainn appears in the extra features of the DVD box set.
Fleet File Collection
The Cu Chulainn is included as a model in Fleet File Collection Vol.5.
|Abai Geser • Achilleus • Airget lamh • Ajax • Bang-goo • Belenus • Brigitte • Cu Chulainn • Diomedes • Epimetheus • Gora-Daileng • Grand Canal • Gumeiya • Hard Luck • Hyperion • Krishna • Leonidas • Leonidas II • Lugeilan • Marduk • Masasoite • Maurya • Muffuese • Palamedes • Patoroklos • Pergamonn • Perun • Quetzalcoatl • Rio Grande • RK-387 • Rustam • Santa Isabel • Shiva • Tlahuixcalpantecuhtli • Triglav • Ulysses • Vivasvat|